Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Falling Knife Frequency Waves Hazy IPA

I bought this on 6.30. Wrote these notes on 7/7 (I think). Held on to it for awhile, because I wasn't sure about posting about a bad beer. This happens once in a while. This is the only way that I've tried this beer, from this growler bought at the brewery, that in no way reflects how the beer is supposed to be. Who knows how this happened.

Falling Knife Frequency Waves Hazy IPA (part four of Minneapolis Breweries 2020).
6.7 % ABV.
Brewed with pilsner malt, spelt and wheat.

Thoroughly hazed, with an undeniably strange hue, a dull peach? Fuzzy amber? Smokey gold? I'm at a loss. Slim white head atop. (Looking at other peoples' entries on Untappd, I'm not seeing a similar color. Strange.)

In the nose: Small sweetness, slight fruit. some hops. Huh.

In the mouth: Starts off juicy, hoppy, smooth. Moderate dose of bitterness drops on the palate. Medium-bodied, easy-drinking. There's something weird and a little smokey in the flavor and texture.  Little bit of spice. Is it from the spelt? Not sure.

Bitterness grows, before fading, and citrusy hop flavors emerge.

I feel like I've got a different beer from others, somehow. Not sure why that is. Very bizarre. This is my least favorite Falling Knife so far, but I'm sure it's just a bump in the road, and my next one will be fine.

NE IPA with featuring Spelt grain and a generous dose of El Dorado, Simcoe and Taiheke hops

No comments: