Sunday, July 19, 2020

Lakes and Legends BloodCat Belgian IPA (part five of Minneapolis Breweries 2020)

Stanchions are getting greater use at taprooms these
days. We stand apart from one another and we
keep our masks on. 
In my attempt to revisit the breweries of Minneapolis, I have compiled a list and arranged them in order of when I'd been there last. Fourth from the top is Lakes and Legends, which I haven't been to since November of 2017. Two and a half years! How did that happen? It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I kind of forget about them. If I'm in that area, I'm usually inclined to go to Sisyphus, or else I'm on way to downtown, or beyond. And there was, actually, a period where I wasn't especially sold on this brewery. Long about time to try them out again.

So, I went down to 1368 LaSalle Avenue, blocks from the lovely Loring Park,  saw the outside seating on the sidewalk was busy, parked my bike, turned to the door, and glanced the long, wordy sign about their COVID-19 plan. Reservations were necessary, no walk-ins. I walked up and asked the masked bartender, "can I take any table I like? " "Sure", came his reply.

And there we go. So, I occupied a couple of hours, tasting a few new-to-me brews in plastic cups, without taking notes. Two of the beers I took home in crowlers (which is something new since last I visited), and you'll see one of them below. The other was a pale ale called Wee Tiger, and it hit all the notes, but I'd love to try it in glass some day.
Half the taprooms think they have to
pour in plastic, half of them don't.
I've never seen it set down anywhere,
but I'm not going to argue. It's
a good move these days, just
don't argue.

The three beers I tried were actually a mixed bag. The one I was less of a fan of, I actually purchased a crowler of anyway, so you'll see that soon. (I take the good with the so-so.) The others were just fine, nothing too fancy. And one of those I liked better in the growler, and that review is below. Maybe it's a matter of the plastic? (Current count, after seeing eight breweries since the slow re-open: 4 glass/4 plastic).

Barncat IPA is a beer I'd never had before, and, actually, still haven't. It was among the beers available  in kegs, but the rep from the distributor never gave me a sample. He gave me a can of 5-weight, and that's a nice cream ale, and it sold well on tap. But, I just wasn't in the mood to try their IPA without sample first and didn't feel like paying for a 6-pack at the store. Maybe go in to the taproom and taste it there? says the little man on my shoulder. Nope not doing that. And I don't know why. They're making perfectly okay beer. I should peek in on them more often, and see how things go.

So, my first review of Lakes & Legends in over 2 1/2 years is the blood orange version of this IPA.
Notes ahoy!

Lakes and Legends BloodCat Belgian IPA. (Blood Orange Barn Cat.)
6.5% ABV, Lakes & Legends Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Clear, bright golden color, large, brilliant white head. Looking very nice.

In the nose: Funky and fruity. Belgian yeast meets large dose of citrus.

In the mouth: Juicy at first, then comes the bitter, followed by the twist of Belgian funky yeast. I like Belgian IPAs, it's a trend that regrettably never quite caught on, and I miss them. In this instance, I feel like the deployment of the blood orange fruit is not as forward as I'd like. The blood orange IPAs I've enjoyed have been more heavy-handed in their use of the fruit.

Wait, though. Here it is, and matched by a high quotient of hop bitterness. Orange flavors are growing and growing. Malt is potent, too, and it's all a well-balanced affair. I'm really enjoying it now, actually. My kind of blood orange Belgian IPA.

No comments: