Monday, July 10, 2017

Ommegang Rosetta

Here's one I had for the first time when I tapped at Acadia a couple of years ago. I didn't need a sample because I had full faith in the powers of Brewery Ommegang. At last, I got a sample from a rep who may have forgotten that I'd already ordered another keg. But the Sample Man's generosity means that Rosetta gets it's place in the Nib. (Truly, there should be many more Ommegang beers on here. I'm so behind and they're one of my favorite breweries.)

Ommegang Rosetta. Flanders Oud Bruin-style Ale. Ale aged on cherries with other natural flavors.
5.6% ABV. Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY.


Rich, burgundy coloring, nearly red and highly hazed, with a pinkish cap of foam atop.

In the nose: there's our cherry, there's our sour, with plenty of wood, as well. Tart and sweet, together. Very nice.

In the mouth: Tart from the start, with cherry flavor rising up to match it. A beautiful tango of sweet and tart. Complexity and richness abounds, while remaining easy-drinking, not-too-sour sipper. Long-lasting fruity flavors. Just the right amount of vinegar. Nice approximation of a Belgian Flanders Red from one of my favorite American Belgian breweries.

From the website: Ale aged on cherries. Traditional Belgian Kriek, pleasingly tart with a touch of sweetness. Brewed exclusively for Brewery Ommegang by Liefmans, a sister brewery, in Belgium.

It's called a traditional kriek here, but Oud Bruin in others places. Can they both be right?

No comments: