Thursday, July 27, 2017

Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative Community Kolsch

Community Kolsch. Broken Clock. Minneapolis, MN. 5% ABV, 28 IBU.

Several weeks ago, I told you all to stay tuned to the next in the series of Broken Clock samples, and, man, can I procrastinate. So, I finally got around to it, and it was worth the wait.


Slightly hazed, bright golden color, slim white head atop.

In the nose: Right on the money. Apple and pear. Delicate. Light. Fruity. Small bitterness. Delightful.

In the mouth: Little bit of hop bitterness, then fresh and lightly fruity and refreshing as it gets. Light bodied, lean, crisp, delicious. Yum, I say. This tastes exactly like a true and good kolsch should.

I've said it before, and I say it again: this style of beer is one that I feel should be done very well or not at all, and shouldn't be subject to experimentation and interpretation. The last beer from Broken Clock, out of all the samples I'd been sent, was the "coffee kolsch" and I desperately wanted to learn that they could make a real and true one. And they have, and they do, and I doff my hat to them for this.

I have two more Broken Clock samples left to go. I hope I like them as much as I like this one.

No comments: