Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Drekker King of the Thing Double IPA

Drekker King of the Thing Double IPA.
8.3 % ABV. Drekker Brewing, Fargo, ND.

So, I haven't had any Drekker in a while. And here's one with an attractive grotesque illustration of some Goblin King (or is it Augra from The Dark Crystal) on the label. And it's a double IPA, which is a style I crave from time to time. Let's try it out.

All hazy. Murky yellow. Large white, lace-leaving head.

In the nose: Soft, fruity, high citrus. Big lemon and orange. Pinch of pineapple.

In the mouth: Sweetness hits the palate first, way before the bitter. More soft, more smooth, and again, I'm coming up short on what I like in an IPA. Juicy Tasty. Ending dry. Medium-bodied, with increasing booze. Leaves the palate quickly.

Personally, I feel that a double IPA should have extra hop bitterness, not just extra booze. But, that's just me, I guess.

Quick question: Are hazy IPAs just the default style now? It didn't see "hazy" or "NE" preceding "DIPA" on the label. I feel kind of cheated when I open a DIPA and find that, alas, again, it's another haze bomb, bros. I just want the OG, dudes.

Designed to showcase to the beauty and splendor of Citra, this beer is built on a mountain of oats and spelt for a decadent and smooth mouthfeel. Bursts with notes of lychee, candied lemon, and peach Bellini. It's royally smooth like the juice of the highest order.⁣ ⁣

Malt: Pale Two Row, Carafoam, Oats, Spelt

Hops: Citra

Yeast: House IPA yeast.

No comments: