Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Oliphant 2HI2SpY Grapefruit Sour with sea salt and lactose

Oliphant 2HI2SpY Grapefruit Sour with sea salt and lactose.
5 % ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

Clear, bright golden color, large, lasting, lace-leaving ivory head, sure to drift down to a tight ring.

In the nose: Sour and salt hit first, no sign of grapefruit yet. Another sniff: maybe a little bit, but not much.

In the mouth: Tart and sour from the start, lip-smacking and puckering aplenty. Brisk, bright and beautiful. Grapefruit still remains subdued, while salt shines, but lactose? What's it up to?...not sure the idea there. I've not yet heard of a sour ale with lactose added. Are they going lactose happy, or is it's presence in the recipe guided by some principle I don't yet understand?

Grapefruit's coming on stronger, and the creamy smooth of the lactose seems to tame it, if that was the intent. Maybe I've answered my previous query. And what's else is, it's pretty damn tasty.

Delicious sour, this one. I'm enjoying this crowler, and I'd go back for more.

Wrapping my head around the name & label art. Spoof on James Bond if he was a stoner? Maybe?

No comments: