Sunday, October 27, 2019

Fair State Pahlay Hazy Pale Ale

Fair State Pahlay Hazy Pale Ale. 5 % ABV. 45 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.

So, a little while back I got some samples of this beer. And I drank them without review because, of course, I've had it before, right? Until it dawned on me that I didn't, because that was another beer. That was Pahlay Ahlay, and it wasn't a hazy, "tropical" pale ale. So, it's high time I took notes on this.

(Looking at that old review and it's illustration, I have to wonder, where did my Fair State pint glass go? Should I get a new one? Or should I just always use my Town Hall Masala Mama glass for every pale ale/IPA I review?)


All hazed up, bright golden hued, large and lasting ivory head.

In the nose: Fresh and zesty, bursting with citrus notes. Lemon, grapefruit, tangerine start bumping into pineapple and passionfruit.

In the mouth: Juicy, lively, flush with fruit. Bitterness buzzes the palate, but for a bit. Light bodied, crisp and refreshing. Tropical/citrus hop flavors never waver or flag in the slightest. It's actually quite delicious. Unquestionably likable.

What makes this different from the original offering, put out a little over four years ago? The addition of Denali hops, creating the tropical hop element, and the haze, which is all the craze these days. So, they took a good thing and made it fit the taste of the times. Does that make it better? Not necessarily. But, in this case, it didn't change it for the worse. This is one of the best Minnesota-brewed pale ales you can pop open and push past your lips.

A hazy and tropical pale ale brewed with wheat, oats and Citra/Simcoe and Denali hops.

No comments: