Thursday, October 10, 2019

Exile Dankalope American IPA

Exile Dankalope American IPA.
6.8 % ABV. 40 IBU.
Exile Brewing, Des Moines, IA.

This is not my first time having this beer. The first was at the brewery, in mid-August of this year. I did not take notes, nor a picture, and didn't check in on Untappd. I fell into a black hole where no beer reporting occurs. I was sure to pick up 4-pack before we left Des Moines, and I'm finally taking notes on the final bottle.

Clear-ish, bright golden color, large, lacey, ivory head.

In the nose: Bold, assertive, citrus and pine. Just lovely. Exactly what I want in an IPA.

In the mouth: Fresh, zesty, awash in hop bitterness and flavor. Juicy. Delicious. "Dank" without being...undank. It's Crescent Fresh, is what it is. Lots of hop interplay on the palate, medium bodied, slightly sweet malt flavors, long lasting flavors in the finish. Delightful.

This is one more example of how Iowa is making some damn good beers. Wish I'd bought a second 4-pack. Well, I would have finished them a long time ago, but I'd be four times happier than I am now. It is a clear and shimmering example of how to do an IPA best. More and more, I want to go back and pick up more examples of their beers, and sing the praises of Iowa beers.

Independent, self-reliant & free-spirited, Dankalope rides on his own terms. Dankalope American IPA is brewed with Simcoe, Chinook and Mosaic hops. Citrus and floral notes made for the open road.

No comments: