Saturday, August 8, 2020

Andechser Vollbier Hell

Andechser Vollbier Hell.
4.8% ABV.
Klosterbrauwerei Andechs, Bavaria, Deutschland.

Prior to a few weeks ago, there had only been one beer from the Klosterbrauerei Andechs here in the Nib, and that was their Doppelbock Dunkel, posted back in 2011. I had a regular customer at my old bar, the Blue Nile, who would travel to Germany and bring bottles back for me. According to BeerAdvocate.com, he also brought me the Spezial Hell and the Weissbier Hell. I know I have before me for the first time the Vollbier Hell. And I have to find out what it is, this Vollbier.

Meaning: "full" beer, or "strong. Original Wort Gravity of 11-14o Plato (sorry, I still haven't figured out the degree symbol on my keyboard). It's an old tax classification that's no longer used. I can't say what sets it apart from other helles lagers, other than they're brewing to those guidelines, and using that name. This one is 11.5o. On the lower side of "strong". Read more here for fascinating backstory of German tax categories.

Enough of that, let's have some Vollbier Hell, already.

Clear, bright golden color, slim white head.

In the nose: Slightly sweet, touch of grain, mild hops, mostly malty. Lightly floral.

In the mouth: A bit bolder than the average Helles. Quite light in body, but maltier than most. Sot, a touch sweet, exquisitely balanced, and utterly easily drinkable. Refreshing and tasty. Every time I review a lager, I feel that I have to remind the reader that it is not my favorite category, and every time I praise one, you can be sure that I mean every word.

Go get a case for when you're lollygagging at the lake cabin. It'll cost more than Keystone Light, but it'll be worth it.

A product of traditional multiple mashing, Andechser Hell presents a bright straw yellow and clear gleaming look that cannot fail to fascinate.

Andechser Hell – tangy, classical, Bavarian
Its head is firm and fine pored. Its aroma is pure and fresh from the cellar, with soft malty accents imbued with floral hoppiness.

Its light and soft body leaves a pleasant, tangy taste in the mouth. The mild sweetness marries well with the velvety bitterness of the hops. It concludes on a rounded, harmonious note.

Andechser Hell is therefore a classical Bavarian Vollbier (11.5% original extract and 4.8% alcohol by volume).

I wish the phrase "Velvety bitterness" would ever occur to me. I wish I ever thought of "rounded, harmonious note."

No comments: