Monday, August 3, 2020

Toppling Goliath Sun Reaper Double India Pale Ale

Toppling Goliath Sun Reaper Double India Pale Ale.
7.8% ABV. 50 IBU.
Toppling Goliath Brewery, Decorah, Iowa

Here's a beer where I picked up the 4-pack, (everything's in 4-packs now), and didn't even check the price because I wanted a double IPA, and hadn't had a Toppling Goliath in a few months. I looked at the receipt later and cursed myself. $18.79. Not quite $20, but close enough. I'm trying to skip the $18-$20 4-packs lately. I don't care what people are saying about it, I'm staying away from them, out of principle. I don't care how good they are supposed to be, I just can't reward that.

Enough about price, let's open and drink:

Absolutely clouded (of course), bright golden hue, large and lasting ivory-toned head.

In the nose: Bold, fresh and citrusy, big lemon and grapefruit.

In the mouth: Brash bitterness kicks it off, slaying the palate. Citrus fruit flashes bombard the senses, bitterness keeping pace. Yeasty haze flavors swallow it up. Long bitter finish. Light bodied. Easy-drinking, despite alcohol and bitter astringency. Citrus flavors hold it down throughout.

Sun Reaper eclipses all others with its medium body and low bitterness. with notes of pineapple, orange and passion fruit flavors up front and a layer of soft pine in the finish.

Now, here's the thing. Pine? Yeah, I got that, but forgot to check it off. But, passionfruit? Maybe. Bitterness and citrus flavors eclipsed all else. (Damn, I just notice they used "eclipse" up above. I'm just too impressionable. That's why I don't read the brewery's notes before I write mine.)

Anyway, I enjoyed this, but while it's good, it's not $4.67 a can good. I'm going to continue looking for beers that aren't above $16 a 4-pack.

1 comment:

DeKay5555555 said...

Yeah, price point is an important thing and I keep thinking that the envelope of cost per beer just goes up.
I cannot help but rationalize that it is still cheaper than being served one at a bar.
That said, growlers are typically $16-$20 for four sixteen ouncers.
Dunno the future, but doth we complain to much about price?
It is really the tax that is fucking us, when you think about it.