Monday, August 3, 2020

St. Bernardus Abt. 12 Barrel-aged Sour

St. Bernardus Abt. 12 Barrel-aged Sour.
10 % ABV. 22 IBU.
Brouwerij St. Bernardus, Watou, Belgium.

With so many barrel-aged beers priced at $20/25 and up, and up, and up, this one, at $15 for the 750 ml bottle is a steal. I hope. I haven't tried it yet. Never heard of it. Saw it at the store, last bottle, how could I pass up a barrel-aged sour version of one of my all-time favorites? Couldn't! So, now we drink!

Dark, Burgundy-hued, slim, mossy, cola-tinged head, Looking nice, so far.

In the nose: Sour and fruity, at first. Red wine barrel is key, in this. Ripe, tannin-y, tart.

In the mouth: Complexities abound. Sour, sweet, malty, deep. Caramel and toffee, mixed with dark fruit, oak and red wine. Perfect balance, through it all.

Almost too perfect. I can imagine that some will try this and declare that it is not sour enough. Or, not sour at all. Well, phooey on that. I think it's too sour. Which means, of course, that I'm not getting enough of the Abbot 12 flavors from the Belgian yeast that I love and the barrel aging has covered it up. That's me, though.

Slowly, but surely, the alcohol comes through. You don't find 10% sour ales that often. Refreshing and delicious, this. I like the restraint. I'm glad I wasn't going in expecting overpowering pucker, which you can get elsewhere.

Masterful blending.

St.Bernardus Abt 12 is the flagship beer of Brewery St.Bernardus and is considered as one of the best beers in the world. The Abt 12 is brewed according to an original recipe from 1946. St.Bernardus Abt 12 Barrel Aged Sour is brewed with that same recipe. After the brew, we let the beer rest in Oak barrels for 3 years. This beer aging lets the beer go sour. In June 2019 we blended it with freshly brewed Abt 12 and bottled it in 75cl bottles. Balanced in flavours, perfect as can be, heavenly nectar within your reach. Enjoy! 

No comments: