Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel.
5.3 % ABV. 14 IBU.
Bayerische Staatisbrauwerei, Bayern, Germany.

Whenever I inquire about whether I've had a beer such as this or whether I need to add it to the Nib, I first search, of course, the Nib itself. In The Bitter Nib, I've posted reviews of the Non-Alcohol version of the Hefe Weizen. And the regular Hefe Weizen. Also Vitus, the Weizenbock, as well as Korbinian, the Doppelbock. But not the HefeWeissbier Dunkel.

Looking on BeerAdvocate, it seems that I've previously reviewed, on their website, the Kristallweissbier, the Original Helles, and the beer I'm concerned with in this very post. Was my review from February of 2003 good enough to copy and paste and re-use for this review? I'm going to just say no and write new notes, soon. I'm still searching, though.

I will look elsewhere. What about on Untappd? Untappd tells me that I checked into this beer on January 18, 2020, on tap at ...wait? Acadia? Where I work? That means that I ordered this keg, hooked it up myself...now I remember how I complained about not getting the proper tap handle for it, and yet I never once decided to do what I've done so many times in the past, and taken a photo of the beer, while using my old notes from 16 1/2 years ago. Rats, I could have saved a whole $3.99.

January, huh? I remember. Teaching my co-workers how to say Weihenstephaner, easily moving this brew, happily pouring it...ah, January, 2020, you were such an innocent time, you seem so far away...

Ah, well, it's just as well. Let's write some new notes, eh.


Semi-clear, caramel-toned coloration, fine ivory-hued froth atop.

In the nose: Malt, spice, banana, citrus, dark fruit, cola. Mellifluous melange.

In the mouth: Smooth, clean, beautiful mix of cocoa, creamy, citrus, banana, clove, orange and lemon, minor hops, moderate malt, and a whole lot of yum a dum dum.

You don't see a lot of dunkel weisses around, do you. If you do see one, and it is good, then you should drink it. You will be richly rewarded. Lovely dark wheat beer. Smooth, delicious, cocoa-tinged, dark fruit-infused...ever-so-sweet and extra-consumable.

Say, what did I say in February 2003?An impressively foamy, bilious head tops a beer with a dark brown, almost pruney, or figgy hue. Aroma is lively and satisfying: citrus, notes of vanilla, banana, cloves, rich, deep, dark. Reminds me of Belgian abbey dubbels, a favorite. Taste is sharp, dry, with a hasty finish, that leaves you yearning for more. A very sociable beer: not too difficult to drink, and not in the least forgettable. Slight bitterness, medium body, and as for flavor, I feel like it's close to a lighter version of a barleywine, crazy as that sounds.

I'm still not sure what I think of what I thought.

And what do they say? Our dark wheat beer is impressive with its creamy white foam. A fruity-fresh sweetness and hints of mature bananas harmonise with delicious flavours of roasted malt, sparkling and full-bodied with a light caramel taste on the first sip. An excellent accompaniment from hearty meals and game to chocolate and nut desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

This is a great Bavarian beer. And you should drink it.

No comments: