Sunday, August 23, 2020

Falling Knife Circle Pit S'mores Pastry Stout

Falling Knife Circle Pit S'mores Pastry Stout.
10.2 % ABV. Falling Knife Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

This beer has two strikes against it before I start drinking: 1. It calls itself a "pastry stout", an appellation I despise, and 2. it employs marshmallows. Well, if you're making a "s'mores stout", you kind of have to. So, I plunked down $18 and now I'm going to drink it.

Utter darkness, complete opaque, slim ring of tannish brown foam on top. Looking great.

In the nose: Massive malt, deep chocolate, and...graham cracker? I believe it is. Can you smell the marshmallow? Don't know if you can. Looming alcohol.

In the mouth: Big malt, huge mouthfeel, bombastic texture. Outsized sweetness, immense cocoa presence. Am I really tasting the graham cracker and the marshmallow? Is that possible?

But, damned if it doesn't taste like a s'more, if it had a lot of booze in it and was liquid. Is a S'more really a "pastry", though? Do we need to keep using that idiotic term? Can't we lay it to rest?

I think I'm in the minority on that one, even though I'm right.

It's a hell of a beer, though. But I'm looking forward to stouts from these guys are that less gimmicky.


S’mores Pastry Stout with chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker

No comments: