Sunday, August 23, 2020

Octopi Galaxy India Pale Ale

Octopi Galaxy India Pale Ale.
5.5 % ABV. Octopi Brewing, Waunakee, WI.

This is my fourth can from the 4-pack, my first from the brewery. I couldn't figure out those first three, now it's time to struggle with it.

Fully hazed-up, orange/golden appearance, slim white head.

In the nose: Orange dreamsicle. Cream and fruit. Not what I was expecting. There's nothing on this label to alert us to the fact that we seem to be heading into a freaking milkshake IPA. There's nothing to indicate any kind of IPA. Sweetness and lactose, that's it.

In the mouth: Blast of bitterness strafes the palate, with fruit and cream flavors just behind. What the hell? I look on the website and find this: Description: New England IPA brewed with Citra and Galaxy hops and just the right touch of vanilla

The thing is that I'm getting hardly any of the flavor of the hops and far too much of vanilla. Why put vanilla in an IPA? 

Times are tough for people like me who are just looking for an IPA. There's nothing about New England, Hazy, or vanilla anywhere on the label. Nothing to warn me that it would be this warped thing that hardly resembles the beer I want to drink. 

Go ahead, insert Grandpa Simpson meme here. 

It's not that bad. I can drink it. But it's a mean trick to play on a guy who just wants an IPA. 

I'll have to be careful around this brewery, that's for sure. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God I agree with you 100 percent. Not a big lactose fan but some of my favorite brewers do get it right but this was all wrong. MY beer dollars will only be misspent once! Ive had other beers by Octopi and disappointed in the labeling of this one. Dont say it is a NE IPA when its a lactose milkshake.