Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Toppling Goliath NugMo IPA

Toppling Goliath NugMo IPA.
6.68 %, 30 IBU.
Toppling Goliath, Decorah, Iowa.

So, I'm at the store picking out beers, and I'm need of a new-to-me IPA. Got to keep abreast of those. I see this one, and in the cart it goes. Let's take a chance on some Iowa beer, see if it's any good. But later, I realize that I never checked the price. Will this be a repeat of the last Toppling Goliath 4-pack that I bought, where I found out too late that I'd broken my latest commandment and picked up a beer that went over the $18/4-pack line? These days, that line is at $16 and over. I checked the receipt. $15.99. Whew, close one.

On to the beer:

Hazy, dull yellow, ivory layer of froth atop.

In the nose: Citrus and tropical fruit at play in the aroma, with a side order of pine. Orange and guava, and a slice of pineapple.

In the mouth: Fruit charges out of the gate, slightly sweet, with bitterness right behind. Grapefruit cuts in. Long lasting flavors. It's a hazy, citrusy IPA with all the bitterness I crave. medium bodied, soft, smooth, easy drinking, fresh, lively, and lovable. Nicely balanced, with a slightly bitter finish. I like this one. I'd drink it again.

Mosaic, Sabro, Simco, and Amarillo hops join forces to create a bouquet of tropical citrus and pineapple aromas. This bold, hop-forward IPA captivates the senses as you raise a glass in tribute to lord NugMo. May he bless your taste buds with a bounty of flavor.

With a name like "NugMo", I 'd have thought the recipe would comprise of Nugget and Mosaic hops. Well, there must be a better reason for the name, I guess.

No comments: