Monday, July 11, 2022

Arbeiter / Forager Crunchy Livin’ Roggenbier with Honey



 Arbeiter / Forager Crunchy Livin’ Roggenbier with Honey.

5.2 % ABV. Arbeiter Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.


Now, here we have a beer I might not have reviewed if I hadn’t decided to celebrate my birthday at Arbeiter, a few weeks back. It was Thursday the 30th of June (put that in your calendars, fans!) and I started my morning by posting on Facebook my birthday plans. This would be the second year in a row that I’d included Arbeiter in my birthday plans, and that trend may continue. I can’t help but like the place, the beer, and the people. 

One of those people, co-owner Juno Choi, approached my table with a Happy Birthday and a promise of a gift and my next pint, what a heck of a guy. The gift was this crowler, which I might not have bought on my own. Why? The honey. Honey holds me back. I don’t mind it, but I don’t run to it. Let’s see if I am wrong.

Clear, amber hue, small, but lasting, ivory head.

In the nose:  sweet and malty. Grainy. Honey shining through. 

In the mouth: crisp and clean, with some complex character coming around. Light bodied, me exceptionally flavorful, and rather hard to describe. Honey remains constant throughout. Rye malt flavors are somewhat subtle, but contribute to the unique combination of tastes in this beverage. Downright tasty stuff, no doubt. 

And now, this from the back of the label:

Howdy, have ya heard the good word about crunchy livin’? This here par-tic-u-lar beverage is an elixir born of the earth and put together by the blistered hands and bleeding hearts from the folks at Arbeiter and Forager Brewing. They communed and they brewed a beverage to get ya right. Something to get ya feeling like the sun itself made love to the entire universe right there in yer mouth. It ain’t just about making beer, it’s about taking what you’re given, creating something, and then saying thank you, kind stranger, 750ml at a time. We call it, Crunchy Livin’.

Whoever wrote that, I’ll have what they’re smoking.


Among the celebrants convened for my natal anniversary, younger brother Wayne, and friends Kris and Nikki. I’m drinking a WestKust because West Kust is  the best Kust.


I’m having a Tangerine IPL for my second and Kelly sure likes hers.


Cheers, Rick, with a Lawn Dorts Dortmunder Lager. Arbeiter loves German lagers and so do we, 


My final beer was a tasty Duel City Belgian IPA and that was the end of birthday fun. Hey, why does Jeff look so fuzzy? No reason, nothing to see here, move along….



No comments: