Saturday, December 12, 2020

Big Axe Santa’s Helper Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Big Axe Santa’s Helper Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

10% ABV, 45 IBU, Big Axe Brewing, Nisswa, MN.


In my first few weeks at my new job, I was stationed at a register nearby one of the roller shelves, whose end display hosts large format single bottles, mostly from Minnesota breweries. I watched this lone bottle of a Christmas-themed barrel-aged imperial stout sit by itself in the middle of September, and I had to wonder if it had been there all year long. September is rather early to release a beer named for Santa or his helper. But, I was informed that it was new, and we had sold all but this one. I've been happy with most of the Big Axe output, so I plunked down the $20 for the single 750 ml bottle, something I rarely do. And then I sat on it until just now. Let's look at those notes. 

Strictly ebony, completely opaque, beautiful ring of brown foam serves as cap.

In the nose: Boom. OK, cocoa,  coffee, vanilla, dark fruits, cherries, raisins. It’s a big one.

In the mouth: Thick, rich, bittersweet. Fat and woody. Full bodied. Edging towards the fruitier side of the Imperial Stout in this one. And it could use a fuller body. Yeah, I said full, but it’s not quite full enough. 

This could be better, but I still enjoy it. Tasty. Roasty. But just a little short of what I really want.

And this is why I so rarely spend $20 or higher on new single bottles, if you don't know what you're getting. I can't find further information on this one. There's no entry on Untapp'd, or BeerAdvocate, but other barrel aged stouts, yes, just nothing with this name. Wondering how many they released.

No matter, I say give it another try, and give it a little something extra next time. 


No comments: