Saturday, December 5, 2020

Oliphant Santa Squishy Cherry Cola Sour Ale

 Oliphant Santa Squishy Cherry Cola Sour Ale.

5.5% ABV. Fruited Berliner Weissbier with cherries, vanilla, lactose, sea salt, and cola flavor. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.



Who doesn’t love a picturesque, bucolic winter wonderland scene of naked Santas pulling a sleigh led by an Oliphant logo headed being?

So, it’s a cherry cola sour, eh? Sort of thing I’d usually shake my head at, but it’s Oliphant, so I have to try it.

Clear, bright crimson coloring, slim pinkish head.

In the nose:sweet cherry notes, but tart coming up behind.

In the mouth: sweet and tart together, with a tiny bit of cola flavor, just a smidge. Light bodied, refreshing, drinkable. The sea salt, once more, is noticeable in this, and the lactose makes it all the smoother. A ver well rounded beverage, and quite enjoyable if you’re into this sort of thing. Me, I can take it or leave it.

You hear me, Oliphant? Makes more IPAs. Or doppelbocks, or Baltic porters. Get off this all-sour kick.  I implore you. There’s more to beer than sours.

No comments: