Thursday, December 17, 2020

Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative Sweater Weather Porter

Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative Sweater Weather Porter.


6.3 % ABV, 44 IBU. Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative, Minneapolis, MN. 

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I bought this crowler for the cute little duckies on the label, with their adorable little sweaters. No, I'm going to tell you the truth and tell you that I bought it in order to drink an honest-to-goodness porter, no coconut, no coffee, no nuts, no fruit, no marshmallows, no fudge. Let's see how it tastes. 

Dark brown, nearly opaque, slim, cocoa-toned head on top. 

In the nose: soft, bittersweet, caramel and cocoa, with a touch of espresso. 

In the mouth: Smooth stuff, so far. Caramel malt, cocoa, brown sugar, a touch of hops for balance. Roasty malts take over the flavor. Medium bodied, and expertly drinkable. Lingering bitterness on the palate rides just above the roast. Quite tasty. I wanted a solid, no-nonsense porter, and I got one. 

This American Brown Porter has dark chocolate and toffee flavors with a solid hop backbone.

Is it a "hop backbone"? Don't we say "malt backbone" for a reason? Huh. I've never heard "hop backbone". Well...huh. Okay. No, really. I think that's wrong. 



No comments: