Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager

Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager.

4.7 % ABV. 13 IBU. Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA. 


This is not the kind of beer I would seek out on my own. How did I acquire it? The beer manager at the retail store where I work decided that it had been moving very slowly, and knocked ten bucks off the price of a 12-pack. That did not inspire me to buy one, for I have too many beers right now, clogging up the fridge, even at fifty cents a bottle. No, my kind co-worker who did buy one, gave me one of his twelve. And though there are five other Stone beers in the fridge to review, I jumped this one to the front of the line just so I could thank him, or curse him, for it. 

Clear, bright yellow, slim to no head. 

In the nose: malt, cereal...not picking up on salt and lime, yet. 

In the mouth: Crisp-ish, clean and smooth, light, and, hey, here comes the ...no, not yet, not really. What's taking so long? I think it's there....okay, now I'm getting some salt, and there has to be some lime, right? Very little, if any. Fine with me, I wouldn't have cared for it, anyway. The salt and lime was originally added to Corona to make the skunky beer palatable. But Stone knows how to make good beer, so they don't need to throw a lime in to add flavor, ...or, do they? 

Now I'm tasting it, it's very minor, but just enough. It's not great, of course, it's not bad, it's a good lager and you can drink it. 

Brewer Ben Sheehan created this beer while working down at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station. Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager’s inspiration comes from Southern California, which is vibrantly influenced by our neighbors to the South. California's spoiling, warm weather encourages outdoor activity year round - and now the rest of the nation can join in. From surfing our coasts, to snowboarding and biking in the mountains, off-roading through deserted lands, or boating and fishing in our lakes, Stone Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager is an excellent companion. It’s a thrillingly crisp, clean, refreshing Mexican-style lager that quenches thirsts, while gratifying taste buds via lime and sea salt.

No comments: