Thursday, December 17, 2020

Waldmann Kölsch Light Lagered Ale

Waldmann Kölsch Light Lagered Ale.


6% ABV, 20 IBU. Waldmann Brewery, St. Paul, MN. 

Let's drink a kölsch, shall we, from a reputable local German style brewery, and not dwell on the fact that I have no kölsch glasses. I'll use the next best thing, a Willi Becher style, and hope that no one notices the difference, although, now that I said it, you will. It'll stick out like that ol' sore thumb, and I'll be so ashamed of myself for not owning a kölsch glass. Not even a Reissdorf? Come on! And somehow, I'll survive. 

Slightly hazed, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: light, delicate, fruity, floral. Apples and pears. 

In the mouth: Crisp, clean, moderate, refreshing. Slight sweetness, minor bitterness. Smooth and mellow, easy-drinking. It's kölsch as kölsch should be. More apple and pear. (Word to the wise: if you can't find apple & pear in your kölsch, send it back!) Lovely, and a delight to drink down. Don't ever pass this one up. You hear me? 

A light bodied beer with a soft mouthfeel and a straw yellow color. This unique style is fermented using an ale yeast, and lagered to develop a clean, fruity, and delicately balanced dry finish. A thirst quenching beer equally as refreshing on a warm summer day as a crisp fall evening.

No comments: