Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Great Lakes Tripel Dog Dare Belgian Style Triple Ale

Great Lakes Tripel Dog Dare Belgian Style Triple Ale. 


9% ABV, 30 IBU. Great Lakes Brewing, Cleveland, OH. 

Clear...-ish. There are floaties about. This is not an old bottle. I purchased it in December, I believe. Or, early January. 

Color, a bright amber. Not quite the color I desire in this style, which would be a brighter gold. They can't all be Tripel Karmeliet, I guess. Slim white head. 

In the nose: Citrus and spice. Slice of funk. Banana and clove? Bubblegum. Touch of floral. 

In the mouth: Starts out pulpy and sweet. Not as clean and lean as I like from this style. Big, boisterous fruit and side of spice. ABV rises up to greet with a quickness. Bubblegum bubbles over the fruit. Much malt, minor hop bitterness. Full flavors.

This may not be the best American-brewed Belgian-style tripel, but I sure do enjoy the heck out of it. 

It’s the coup de grace of all beers! Brazenly bold with spicy clove and citrus aromas, Tripel Dog Dare is fodder for the rabble-rouser and mischief-maker in all of us.​ 

No comments: