Sunday, March 7, 2021

Augustiner Maximator Doppelbock

Augustiner Maximator Doppelbock.

7.5 % ABV. 


Brewed and bottled in Munich, Germany by Augustiner Brewery. 

So, there I am looking at the list of top-rated doppelbocks on BeerAdvocate and the first one that I hadn't had was this one. Had I had anything from Augustiner-Brau? I have a review of their Edelstoff lager from May of 2010 on BeerAdvocate. I didn't care for it then, so I think I'll try it again. Meanwhile, I'll try this one for the first time. We have it at the store where I work, and I talked the manager into singling them out. Not enough space in my fridge for another 6-pack of doppelbocks. (He says, though he just stuffed it with IPAs, double IPAs, and barrel-aged barleywines.)

On to the beer: 

Clear, caramel/brown-ish hue, cream-toned, short-lived head.

In the nose: Classic malty notes dominate, dark fruits, figs and raisins, caramel and toffee. Brown sugar, molasses. Sweet stuff, but well-balanced. 

In the mouth: Sticky, sweet, and ever-so tasty. Lightly roasty/toasty. Medium bodied, moderate strength, low bitterness, and richly rewarding. Flavors from the aroma arrive on the palate. Goes down nice and easy. An utter delight. 

The pleasant, dark Doppelbock of monasterial origin, especially suited for festivities during the chilly season.

No comments: