Thursday, March 11, 2021

Hubbard's Cave Vanilla Coffee & Cakes Stout

Hubbard's Cave Vanilla Coffee & Cakes Stout. Imperial Stout with coffee, maple syrup and vanilla.

12 % ABV. Hubbard's Cave, a subsidiary of Une Anee' Brewery, Niles, IL. 


According to Untappd, this is a "Stout- Imperial / Double Pastry" It has coffee and maple syrup and vanilla, all ingredients we find in our pastries. I won't get started, I promise. I've made my feelings none previously. 

This, I must be upfront about, is not the sort of thing I'd spend my money on. I didn't have to, so it came into my possession, and because of that, I must review it. Of course, I didn't have to take it home, but then, that wouldn't be being me, would it, now? 

Ebon-hued, complete opacity, thick, lasting deep brown head. Impressive looking. 

In the nose: Coffee hits first, then vanilla rises up, followed by cocoa. No sign of maple, yet. Wait, here it is. Not too shabby. 

In the mouth: Here vanilla is king, sweetness boldly taking charge. It's all malt, no hops. And it only gets sweeter. Maple syrup charges in. Coffee lays low. Alcoholic strength starts big and stays big. I could handle this better at less than 12%, even less than 10. Right now, it's a bit much. 

Assessment: it's massive, rich and sweet, with a killer punch. Definitely a sipper, you're sitting in for the long haul, unless you've got a death wish. Coffee component remains minor compared to the other adjuncts. Tasty stuff, if a bit too outsized. So, I didn't hate it, so sue me. 

Imperial Stout with SPUTNIK Coffee and Maple Syrup finished on vanilla beans


No comments: