Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Surly Give The Devil His Due Double Dry-hopped Hazy Double India Pale Ale

Surly Give The Devil His Due Double Dry-hopped Hazy Double India Pale Ale. "Juicy/Hazy/Devilish."

9.3 % ABV. Surly Brewing, Minneapolis & Brooklyn Center, MN.

What is the meaning of the name of this beer? Surly surely doesn't make many beers of this style, not as many as Blackstack, for instance. Or Falling Knife or Barrel Theory or Stacked Deck or Wild Mind or Modist, etc., etc, etc. Does the name reflect the tarnished image many now have of this pioneer in Minnesota craft brewing? Are they acknowledging that many see them as "the Devil" and that by putting out a beer of this style, it's time to give them their due?

Or, is it something else, and I'm reading too much into it? 


Let's just drink it and see...



Clear (what happened to "hazy", not that I care?), bright amber color, nearing crimson, under a lasting, stable layer of ivory foam.

In the nose: Big citrus and pine, with a side of burnt caramel. Hops on fire. Fierce and formidable.

In the mouth: Boom! Rich, hoppy, powerful. Alcohol heat dominates the palate from the start. Citrus and pine, pinch of tropical. Just a bit juicy, not a whit hazy, definitely devilish. Devious, in fact. Tastes unlike any other DDH DIPA out there, and I'm happy for it. Full bodied, long, bitter finish, unstoppable hoppiness. A nightcap for sure. 

So, I like this. I'd like to drink it again. And I wish I hadn't finished the four-pack so soon. Well, I guess it's no so bad. I held onto this final can for 17 days. You can't keep them forever. Drink your beers, people. That's why the Lord made them. 

Oh, wait, don't go, I have one more thing. You know that original Surly logo that no longer appears on their packaging, but you can see in my photo, on the glass (forgot that I switched the glass on this one, after the pour wasn't perfect) and coasters? A friend of mine was recently lamenting on Facebook the loss due to breakage of one of his pint glasses, and that is was in the style they will no longer make with the Gabe and Lou faces. Gabe and Lou, I had to ask, what's that? The two faces of that old design were named for Gabriel and Lucifer, apparently, although it was never mentioned to me before in all the years I'd had a close association with Surly. But, I still don't get it. Disgruntled disappointment and blissful satisfaction aren't exactly states of mind that I would deem parallel to the heavenly and the satanic. That's just me, though. Being unhappy with your current situation doesn't make you evil. 

BREWED FOR ROSINING UP YOUR BOW

Hellacious amounts of hop flavor, fiendish notes of stone fruit and citrus, and a smooth, sinister finish. It sounds almost sinful, doesn’t it? Go ahead, indulge, open a can of this diabolical, double-dry-hopped hazy double IPA, and Give The Devil His Due. Being bad never tasted this good.

GIVE THE DEVIL HIS DUE

 Juicy | Hoppy | Devilish

DDH DOUBLE IPA

COLOR

Hazy Amber


HOPS

Lotus

Amarillo

El Dorado

Citra

MALT

2-Row

Vienna

Oat Malt

Wheat Malt

Honey Malt

Golden Naked Oats

Flaked Oats

OG

YEAST

Hazy Ale

IBU

Low

ABV

9.3%

SURLY MN USA


No comments: