Friday, March 26, 2021

Unmapped Stout Ruby Imperial Stout

Unmapped Stout Ruby Russian Imperial Stout. Go Somewhere Unmapped.


9.8% ABV. 80 IBU. Packaged 3/1/21. Unmapped Brewing, Minnetonka, MN. 

This beer and I have a history, although this is my first time drinking it. A few years back, one of Unmapped's reps told me of it and decided to give me her own personal bottle, which was back at her place. How often does it happen that someone comes through on their word and drives back to their home and picks up their personal bottle, then returns to Acadia Cafe to give it to me? I'll always appreciate that, Laurel, always. But something terrible happened that day. The bottle was in a bag with a weighty raft of other samples, all cans and crowlers. Almost at my destination, nearly home, mere blocks away, the bag tore, and the cans and crowlers fell out and the only bottle in the bag crashed on the sidewalk of Lyndale Avenue and this imperial goodness flowed into the sewer drain, as I picked up the glass, solemnly depositing it into the trash. When Laurel would ask how I liked it, I would say that I hadn't opened it yet, afraid of telling her the truth. I eventually confessed to the tragedy, and she was not happy. The next time it was available as a keg, I bought one, and it was set to be in a line of imperial stouts on tap at Acadia, stretching into the summer, I suppose. Of last year. And last year, oh, boy....

And then, COVID happened. We reopened for less than two weeks before closing again for building maintenance. I anticipated reopening as normal, and wanted all these imperial stouts to go back on tap, but things were not to be that way. Every single keg, tapped or not, (with some exceptions which I am not at liberty to divulge) went back to it's origins in order to recoup the deposit, the money spent on the beer inside a casualty of the times. My second chance at tasting this beer, serving it to the public, and making it up to Laurel, dashed away. 

And then a new rep came into the retail store where I currently work popped in with a bottle. I think that my boss, the beer buyer, does not care for Imperial Stouts. I told him of my missed chances at drinking this, and he said, "oh, you'll get your chance." A few days later, he handed this to me. I knew it wouldn't have been opened for sampling with staff. The only things we seem to try are fruited sours and such. Yawn.

So, here I am, with a bottle of my own, and I'm going to drink it, and tell you all about it: 

Strictly ebon-hued, full opacity, a toasted brown head holding court above. Looking majestic. 

In the nose: Cocoa hits first, coffee comes in from behind. Some molasses, touch of anise. Deep malt, definitive darkness. 

In the mouth: First sip: yum. Big chocolate flavors at the first, followed by caramel, charcoal, touch of toffee, roasted flavors resting on a bed of deliciousness. Thick mouthfeel, full body, long, malty finish. Cocoa is king here, dominating over other flavors, and I don't mind it. Strong, powerful, persuasive. Just like a cute, li'l puppy dog. 

Well-balanced. Never too sweet, but malt forward, hops just for balance, although they are in full force. It's a well-commissioned tango, everything keeping perfect time. Chocolate flavors remain large and in charge, but all in all, this is one fine Imperial Stout. Yum. A dum Dum. 

For this Russian Imperial Stout, we've taken inspiration from Ruby the Adventure Corgi for her endearing spirit of exploration (and stout-ness)!

Stout Ruby is a delicious medley of chocolate and roasted malt flavors that finish with a satisfying sweetness. Enjoy!

No comments: