Friday, March 26, 2021

Dangerous Man Papaya IPA

 Dangerous Man Papaya IPA. 


7 % ABV, 20 IBU, Dangerous Man Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 

I'll admit something to you very handily, and that is that DMBC has not appeared here in the Nib enough overview these past Eight years. . One very good reason is that I don't cross the river all that often. I stay on this side, you people on that other side, I hope you're happy and everything, but I've got what I need here. It has been nearly two years since my last visit to their taproom, on the occasion of my 51st birthday, when they were the fourth of five brewery visits by bike with many of my friends. Good times were had by all. But I did not purchase any crowlers to go because there was so much more travel ahead. And after that, I kept meaning to go back, always meaning to...you know what is said about good intentions.

And then the COVID happened. After the initial shutdown, DMBC continued to keep the taproom closed, not sure of how to operate under new restrictions, although the crowler shop kept doing great business. That finally changed last week, and was invited by a friend in the know to a sort of "soft" re-open. There were some excellent beers on tap. I enjoyed the Brett Saison with Pear & Pineapple, the Barrel-aged Grand Cru, an Oak-aged Wee Heavy, and a double IPA. Nothing disappointed, they all hit the spot. Good times, etcetera. And I took three crowlers home, and they were all IPAs. And I promise that I will keep trying to check them out more often. And I will now drink one of those crowlers, and tell you about it...

It's heavily clouded, pinkish/ruby grapefruit-hued, slim to no head at all. 

In the nose: Tropical fruit, and....tropical fruit. 

In the mouth: Sharp, fruity, funky. Papaya-y. Low hop bitterness, you can barely detect an IPA behind the fruit. Maybe just a little. It's all fruit but well-balanced, not too sweet, everything kept in check. Ends on a dry note. I'm liking this one, but not exactly loving it. Not bad, but not great. 

STYLE: Hazy IPA, Smooth and Fruity

FLAVOR NOTES* Juicy Papaya* Freshly Zested Citrus* Wisp O' Funk* Undertone Of Passionfruit* Crisp & Fairly Dry

MALTS* Pilsner* Chit Malt* Flaked Oats

HOPS* Cashmere * Idaho 7

YEAST: * Dry English Ale

ADJUNCTS: * Papaya Puree* Passionfruit Puree


No comments: