Monday, March 8, 2021

Swing Barrel Cheater Hops IPA

Swing Barrel Cheater Hops New England India Pale Ale. 


7.5 % ABV. Brewed and packaged in Moorhead, MN. Swing Barrel Brewing Company is an independently owned and operated craft brewery located in Moorhead, MN, 56560. 

So, there I am minding my own business amongst the beer shelves when along comes a man who recognizes me as an employee of the retail store where I currently work, a man I've never met before, and he says, hey, I'd like to share a beer with you. It's from Moorhead, where I'm from, and I don't really drink IPAs, but maybe you'd like it. Well, that sure is nice. I'll bring it by tomorrow, he says. Oh, too bad, I tell him, I have the day off tomorrow. You know what, he says, I'll just walk down to my house and get it for you, says Greg. Some time later, my boss approaches me and hands me this crowler. Is this from Greg, I ask. Yes, it is. I don't think my boss likes IPAs. And also, it seems that he was going to bring this brewery in already, without free crowlers from Greg. And now I have a new IPA from Moorhead that's not Junkyard, and I have Greg to thank, and also John. Let's drink it...

What does "cheater hops" mean? I've only encountered this phrase before from beers out of Junkyard, also in Moorhead. Is it really cheating if you're just crafting a great recipe from the best ingredients at hand? The label seems to imply that a certain New England football team and it's quarterback may have been guilty of cheating at some point? I don't follow the sports balls. 

Thorughly hazed, with an oddly orange coloration, smack between gold and crimson, and a stable, white head. It's not quite the right look for the style, and that's setting the tone for the proceedings. 

In the nose: a fruity melange, some citrus and tropical notes, with plenty of malt back-up. 

In the mouth: Juicy, fruity, malty, plenty of hops shining through. Soft, mellow, smooth. Low bitterness. More malty. Nice, hoppy flavors, but...it's just ...missing something. Some spark that it lacks. It seems to be stuck between styles, not quite clicking. Average. Mediocre. Not really anything to talk about. Huh. Whatever. 

Is this "New England" because it's hazy, or...there's something missing in this recipe, not quite delivering on whatever the promise is...

Cheaters? Maybe. But one cannot argue with results, and Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops win the day in this juicy New England Style India Pale Ale. 

It...it just doesn't work. It's an okay beer, and one can still drink it, but...sigh...

No comments: