Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Schell's Keller Pils

Schell's Keller Pils.


5.5 % ABV, 39 IBU. August Schell Brewing, New Ulm, MN. 

Here's one that I couldn't believe that hasn't appeared here yet. My first check-in on Untappd was nearly two years ago, at Acadia. If I remember correctly, I chose to put it on tap there without ever receiving a sample, just going with my gut that it had to be good. It sold well, too, if I recall correctly. The can I am reviewing from was part of a sampler pack, The Harvest Collection. There were two beers I'd had, two that I needed to review. Will I buy the new Peacock Collection, which only has one new-to me beer? Probably not, we'll see.

Anyway, on to the beer: 

Highly hazed, bright golden color, large, long-lasting, lace-leaving ivory head. Looking great. 

In the nose: Expressive hoppiness, largely floral, slightly citric. Delicate and delightful. 

In the mouth: Crisp, clean, lively. Lemon leads the flavors, a kiss of grapefruit, more floral, touch of spice. All dances beautifully on the palate. Light bodied, easily consumed, with a long, hoppy finish. Chock full o' taste and character, this is by far one of the best pilsners around. I'm enjoying this, and if you know me, I'm no lager-lover. 

a crisp, dry pilsner, with a firm hop bitterness, our Keller Pils is unfiltered and full of character. The addition of Callista hops lends a fruity aroma of citrus, stone fruits, and berries. Golden in color and balanced in flavor, it stands tall against it's lighter-bodied, low-hopped relatives.


No comments: