Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Oliphant She-Hunk Milkshake IPA with Coffee

Oliphant She-Hunk Milkshake India Pale Ale with Coffee. 5.6% ABV. Oliphant Brewing,
Somerset, WI.

Part one of the label depicts the She-Hunk, no relation
whatsoever to a certain cousin of the irradiated,
and angry one, also emerald hued. 
Dear readers, if dear readers ye be, ye...I mean, you have perhaps read one of the several blogposts where I professed my disdain for this "milkshake IPA" style that's all the rage these days. That all the kids are into. I have stated more than once that I really ought to avoid them, in order, if nothing else, to stop repeating myself. If I don't like it thus far, I'm probably not going start liking it. But, one never knows for sure, does one? One doesn't.

And yet, I still pick one up from time to time. In the case of this beer, it's because, doggonit, it's Oliphant and I like to try all of their beers, no matter what. Enough palaver, let's get on with it.

Lightly hazed, dark orange/bronze-ish coloring, slim off-white head.
Part two of the illustration brings us Dr. Josh, amid his
examination of Ms. Hunk. Do the milkshakes bring
the muscles? Or the caffeine? 

In the nose: Big coffee aromatics, with a malty base below. Creamy in the middle.

In the mouth: There it is: gritty and smooth at once. Huh? Yeah! Hop bitterness starts it off, coffee comes in quick, and then the lactose and vanilla. An unlikely melange that manages to hang together. Medium-bodied, moderately bitter, surprisingly smooth. Smooth, and creamy and coffee-tastic!

I wasn't crazy about this one the first time I tasted it (12/31/17), nor the second time, really (08/26/18). But, right now, out of this crowler, it's alright in my book.

shehunk
so it has come to this? today i woke up after a very restorative night of sleep and there was gum in my hair, again! like, what in the world? i do have chewing gum at night to help me sleep, but i always swallow it. i am perfect and there is no way it falls out of my mouth while i'm sleeping, thusly rolling in it. so it has come to this; i guess i can't sleep anymore. get ready for a crabby jeremy, world!

coffee milkshake india pale ale. 5.6% abv



No comments: