Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Oliphant Super Squishy Blackberry and Raspberry Sour

Oliphant Super Squishy Blackberry and Raspberry Sour. Berry Sour Ale. With lactose, vanilla, coconut, and sea salt. 5% ABV. Brewed and crowlered by Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

You know what I said a little bit back about how I can only do sour ales in small doses? And remember the thing I've also said before about how my fascination with the Oliphant Brewing Company is akin to comic book collecting in that I can't help myself from trying them all, in a maniacal desire to complete a collection?  It's as if I had to buy that issue of Marvel Team Up where Spider-Man and the Thing battle the Basilsk because I have to have every appearance of Benjamin J. Grimm, even though I don't collect Marvel Team-Up, and am not as obsessed with Spider-Man as I am of the Thing...but I still like Spider-Man, too, I mean, who doesn't. I just don't need every appearance. I like him, just not in every single comic book.

And that's why it's time for another sour, this time from Oliphant. Yeah! Let's drink it...

Opaque, dark berry-colored, thick pink, lace-leaving  head. Good God, it's beautiful.

In the nose: Sweet meets tart. Berry upon berry. Creamy, salty, and, by Crom, coconut. It's all there. The legends are true. It's wacky, it's weird, and it just might work.

In the mouth: Whoa, that's good squishy. Big punch of berries and tartness, and this coconut comes right on in. Whoa, that wasn't expected, vanilla and cream pops up next. This is something else. Salt stays right in time with the rest. This one is really the sum of all it's parts, and then some.

I think it's pretty damned delicious. I wouldn't drink it on the regular, but it's a nice tasty treat for now and once in a while and then again.

I like the contrast between the salt, the sweet and the sour. I like that it uses that vanilla & lactose but isn't trying to muck it up by also making it an IPA, for the love of Benji.

Therefore, I heartily recommend that you check it out, and then go crazy, Broadway-style.

super squishy 
we called this super squishy because we are not very creative. if you have ever met any of us, you have probably said to yourself, “ wow, these guys are rectangular as a money bill; meaning they don’t have fun and wouldn’t know what to do with fun if it flew toward them like a speeding projectile”. so what can i say on behalf of all of us? nothing. we expect that you will enjoy this on an adequate level, at most, but also you might not like it, and that is fine too. back to my saltines!

raspberry & blackberry sour ale w/ coconut, lactose, & sea salt . 5% abv

No comments: