Monday, August 2, 2021

Deep Ellum IPA


Deep Ellum IPA.

7 % ABV, 70 IBU. Deep Ellum Brewing, Dallas, TX. 

And this is the last can from a 12-pack that I bought many months ago. I'm cleaning out the fridge of the stuff I've been passing by all this time, and once I scale back the backlog, I hope my reviews to be fresher than ever. Fingers crossed and cross my heart.

Clear, golden/amber hue, short, lace-leaving, ivory head. 

In the nose: Grapefruit is top of the heap here, followed by tangerine, orange and maybe mango. Nice. 

In the mouth: Bright and juicy at that start, with a big bite of bitterness that clings to the palate. Citrus and pine are in command. Slight sweetness, expressive fruity character, but ultimately ending on a dry note. Medium bodied, long bitter finish. Hey, I kind of like it. 

For an IPA to bear our hometown name, it better be potent. So we loaded it with our favorite American hops for a bitter punch. And with some over-the-top tropical fruit, citrus, pine and floral aromas and flavors, you’ve got one big Texas IPA, deserving of the Deep Ellum name.


No comments: