Saturday, August 7, 2021

Wooden Ship Weather Report Hazy IPA

And here we have the first appearance here in the Nib of Wooden Ship Brewing in the Linden Hills neighborhood of Minneapolis, the latest new brewery in our city. (Although...do they predate Stormking? Not sure.)

This crowler was purchased on my late-July, Friday night visit to the brewery and was chosen because it was only available in crowler form, having run out on the tap line. Why pick this one, not one of my favorite styles? Good question. I could have chosen something I might have praised a little higher. But, I didn't. Perhaps a desire to grab it before it's gone? Silly me, a hazy IPA isn't going away. Or, is it? 

Also, I was going to save this to link in with a post with a larger emphasis on the brewery itself. That will come soon. I made another trip to this charming little joint south of Bde Make Ska and west of Harriet, and perhaps I'll adjoin one of those crowler reviews to my overall thoughts on the business at large. 

A question remains. Is the name of this beer a reflection on the "cloudy" nature of the Hazy IPA style, or because the folks behind the brewery are fans of Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius , et al? 

Wooden Ship Weather Report Hazy IPA.


5.8 % ABV. Wood Ship Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 

All hazed up. Pale orange color. Not much head, if any. 

In the nose: Soft and slightly citric. Not too much happening here. 

In the mouth: Here come the hops. They're doing a fine, funky fandango on the palate once on board. Citrusy, with a whiff of the tropical. Just a little juicy. Easy-drinking, for sure, and tasty enough. 

Cloudy, soft, delicious IPA.





No comments: