Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Invictus Brewing Company & Centennial SMaSH IPA

Invictus Centennial SMaSH  IPA. And more about Invictus Brewing. 


5.7 % ABV. SMaSH IPA. Packaged 5/17/2021. Invictus Brewing, Blaine, MN. 

[Editor's note: It is now the middle of August, and I am finally going to share this post I wrote in early June about a taproom visit in late May. Because, brother, can I procrastinate.]

[Edit #2: I wrote the above on 8-15-21 and published it on 8-24, because I suck.]

Invictus Brewing of Blaine, Minnesota has appeared six times before here in the Bitter Nib. All of these were from samples dropped off by a sales rep for the brewery. (Thanks, Jon-Michael!)The first were from late 2019, and the last two were tasted and published post COVID-19 shut-down when I was no longer in any position to order beers from them. Alas, I missed my chance, for now. Maybe someday in the future I will have that power once more, and turn to them to take a spot on the taps. Wherever, whenever that may be.

Skip ahead to Sunday, May 30, 2011. And Dave feels like he's ready to go out among the public and visit some breweries. Where did I want to go? The northern suburbs of Minneapolis, starting with Invictus. This would be strange, as the city we all live in, (Dave, I, and Dave's brother, Sasha), the city of Minneapolis, had not dropped the mask mandate, but the rest of the state of Minnesota, save St. Paul, had. It would be my first time since the start of the pandemic entering a space without a mask mandate. When we reached the brewery, D. and S. put theirs on, and I followed suit. The hostess had one on, and the servers, as well, but none of the bartenders. We took ours off once finding our seats. One other human had one on, dangling off his chin.


Three days later, the mask mandate was lifted in Minneapolis. I'd wager that half the population is still wearing theirs, hedging their bets. 

That aside, I must note one regret right off the bat. I could have used some food, but didn't order some brunch from the restaurant next door, The Tipsy Steer. Why not? Can't explain myself. Another regret? Not knowing forehand that their supply had dwindled by a third. Some equipment malfunction rendered their normal 15 beer selection down to a mere 5. One was a passionfruit sour, then a cider, plus two I'd had before (the Avenger IPA and the amber ale called Blaine it On the Rain), plus a hazy IPA. I've said all that I need to say about the hazies. 


So I had the passionfruit sour, as did Sasha, and it was good, exactly as promised. I'd recommend it. But, as I've said many times, certain sours last longer than I care for, and this was one. I should have gone with a smaller sample. 

The place was full with the fine people of Blaine, Minnesota, practically bustling with them. No social distancing, they're over that stuff. Everyone is. Several TVs showed sports. It was a typical taproom, for the most part, but a bit too stuffed with the populace for me to be comfortable. What can you expect?Every community wants their taproom, even Blainians. 


So, I skipped the cider, and the hazy, although I tried Sasha's, and it was just as I expected. Had an Avenger to see if I still liked it, and I did. Excellent IPA. 



But, hearing the disappointment in Dave's voice when finding that the Centennial SMaSH was not on tap, I was elated to see that they still had crowlers of it on sale, in that cooler. And now, I will drink one. Here come the notes: 

Clear, bright golden hue, large and lasting milky white head. 


In the nose: Citrus and pine galore. Lime, orange, and grapefruit. Lovely stuff. 

In the mouth: Big bitter slap from the start, then all is mellow and smooth. Malt (not specified anywhere I can find) rises up to catch time with the hops. Bitterness lingers on the palate and stays a spell. Just the way I like it. More citrus emerges on the palate, more orange, grapefruit, lemon, ending on a determined dry note. 

I love a long, lingering bitter after-taste, and I'm glad that I found it here. Yup, this is my kind of IPA.

I am curious about what other beers were available in the crowler format, but I stuck to one only. I have so many beers waiting to try, that even adding one more to that huge pile was against my best judgement. 

Of the three breweries we visited that day, I did pick up at least one beer each from them all, so I will include descriptions of the brewery and our visit along with notes on the crowlers and bottles. 

Cheers to you, Invictus Brewing of Blaine, that rare brewery based on a Victorian era poem by William Ernest Hensley. May you forever be the Master of your Fate, the Captain of your Soul. 

Out of the night that covers me,

      Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

      For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance

      I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

      My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears

      Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

      Finds and shall find me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,

      How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

      I am the captain of my soul.



No comments: