Thursday, February 24, 2022

612 Basic Instinct West Coast IPA

612 Basic Instinct West Coast IPA. Dank. Citrus. Pine.

Proudly brewed and canned by 612 Brew in Northeast Minneapolis, MN. 

Here we have the sixth entry for 612 Brew in seven years. I've said it before, I'm just not keen on this brand. Now, here they are with a new beer, replacing the Mill City Pilsner, and it's one of my favorite styles. Often, if I feel that I can trust a brewery, I'll just go ahead and buy a six- or 4-pack of a West Coast IPA. If I'm not so sure that I'll like the product, I'll do what I did this time, and wait until a can breaks and the remaining five go on the singles shelf.  Two bucks for a single, that's not much of a gamble. Let's see what's inside. 

Clear, bright golden color, huge white head. Looks the part. 

In the nose: Expressive aromatics, spilling out appropriate amounts of citrus and pine. Pretty much right on the money. 

In the mouth: Highly hopped, intensely bitter, in all the right ways, just enough bite for a hophead like me. Dank, resinous, bitter, brittle, and dry. It hits all the right notes. Medium bodied, long hoppy finish. Never-ending hop bitterness upon the palate. Travel well down the gullet. Quite tasty, and very satisfying.. 

And now I feel the fool, wishing I had five more of these. 

No comments: