Saturday, February 5, 2022

Modist Intergalactic Sofa Ghost Double Dry Hopped New England IPA

Modist Intergalactic Sofa Ghost Double Dry Hopped New England IPA.

7.2 % ABV, Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 

When I am spending my own money on beer, I steer clear of anything labeled Hazy or New England.  If it's a gift or a sample, then I shall review it, even if I know going in that it's not my favorite style. And I will try to be objective. I've said it over and over, I'm bored with them and they don't give me what I'm usually looking for in an IPA. They should just drop IPA and call them New England Ales. I'll jump off my soapbox and begin the drinking. 

To the eye: Hazy for sure, dull yellow color, slim white head. 

In the nose: Lemony, citrusy, grapefruit meets pineapple. 

In the mouth: Soft, smooth, medium bodied. Negligible bitterness. Mild and muted. Citrusy notes play quietly on the palate. I can get a hint of some distant deliciousness that lurks just below the surface and never gets a chance to shine. Once again, I'm bored. It's a beer, and I'll drink it, but the thrill is gone. It's clearly not brewed with me in mind. I need much more than this. 

If you like an "IPA" that's "soft" and "pillowy" and boring, this may be for you.

New England IPA brewed with flaked oats, malted wheat, malted oats and pale ale malt. Hopped & double dry hopped with our hand-selected Citra, Strata, Cryo Citra and Sabro.

No comments: