Thursday, February 10, 2022

Modist Reptilian Elite Double Dry-hopped West Coast Double IPA

Modist Reptilian Elite Double Dry-hopped West Coast Double IPA.

8.5 % ABV, Modist Brewing,  Minneapolis, MN. 

I like a West Coast IPA, and I like a Double West Coast IPA even more. But, is a West Coast Double IPA served well by double dry-hopping? Isn't that tiresome trick antithetical to the nature of that beast? And can a brewery best known for its hazies do this style justice? I didn't like the last two tries, so...try, try again...

Nearly clear, but not quite. Deep amber/golden hue. Slim white head. 

In the nose: lively fruit associations. Stone & Citrus. Exceptionally dank. Apricot & peach bump up against grapefruit & orange. A lot going on here and I do like it. 

In the mouth: Big hoppiness at the start, with an early reveal of high alcohol. More dankness and leaning hard towards deliciousness. Lacks completely the bitterness that West Coast style demands. Full bodied, full flavored. I'm actually enjoying this, but I can't help but feel cheated. When I hear West Coast, there are still some things I expect. Should I expect them from this brewery? Can they do bitter, brittle and dry? Do they even want to? I want a true example from these guys, but am I wrong to expect it? Did they do one once and I missed it? 

Here's what's really weird. I went looking through reviews on Untappd, as I often do, and found this from Louis L: "Slightly sweet. Touch of marshmallow. Touch of sweet citrus. Almost very good, but just not an upper tier west coast." 3.25/5.

See what you started, Modist Brewing? People are now finding marshmallow where there is none! Do you see what happens, Modist? Do you see what happens? 

Touch of marshmallow? SMDFH...

West Coast Double IPA brewed with Golden Promise and pale ale barley malts. Kettle hopped and double dry hopped with our hand selected Columbus Cryo, Simcoe, Strata, Amarillo and Talus

No comments: